4ZB5FoykTh_OOG1MtDYjPt87VfU Positively Depressed: Copyright and Blogging, WTH?!?

Friday, July 26, 2013

Copyright and Blogging, WTH?!?

/

Copyright and blogging is confusing as hell.
Am I right?

Can someone please use simpler, easy to understand
explanations of the law, especially the "breaking it"part?
Is that too much to ask??

Everything I thought I knew 
(and very little, just the basics)
about copyrights and infringements 
was apparently and unintentionally all wrong.

Okay, maybe it is just me, maybe ignorance is bliss, but not after 
you unintentionally commit copyright infringement.

This happened to me last night on my other blog.

I promised myself and the person I wronged 
that I would not write another post until I researched
and gained more knowledge on the laws of blogging
and copyright so I can save myself the future 
embarrassment and maybe jail time.

I think I can honestly say that what I did was 
by no means to intentionally break any laws.
I do know that ignorance and lack of knowledge
is no excuse for what I did.  

Back in my mind, maybe I knew I wasn't supposed to 
copy someones post and put it on my blog.
But, in my defense, I credited the author three times on
the post and never once played it off like it was mine.
I gave credit where credit was due.

Don't get me wrong, I understand how 
important copyright is and that it is definitely 
something that needs to be in place, but I am only human
and humans make dumb mistakes even unknowingly.

Luckily, the author, as freaked out as she was, said please 
when asking me to take down the post.
So of course I immediately took it down when I got the 
email before 8:00am Eastern Time.  

Now, here is what I thought I knew:
**Always give credit where credit is due
**Always link posts and articles back to author and site
  **Always let the author know that their post,
article, informational stuff, etc. was used by sending 
them a link to my post and thanking them
**Never use anyone's personal family/friends 
photos on my blog because, well, 
they are personal and private.
**Use a disclaimer that states that I do not 
own the pictures I am just sharing them but always
cite the source, site, and owner if known. 

While all that above may not be in compliance 
with the copyright laws as i know them now,
 it is what I thought to be true to the 
best of my knowledge before last night.

What I know now:

**Assume Nothing!
**Each person can set their own rules on
 copyright according to their needs as they see fit.
**Seek out and find if a blog has a copyright policy
and abide by it before embarking on "sharing"
**All pictures are owned by someone, somewhere.  
Must credit and provide source on all pictures. 
Or you assume that you are breaking the law
 and someone can sue you for using their pictures. 
Now be aware that everything I said about pictures 
means that liability is still an issue. Copyright
 is violated if you have never gotten permission 
from the owner to use them regardless 
if you cited the name, site, and source of picture. 
This goes for creative commons, public domains, and so on.
**According to Copyright.gov, fair use "The distinction between 
what is fair use and what is infringement in a particular case will 
not always be clear or easily defined. There is no specific 
number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken 
without permission. Acknowledging the source of the 
copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission."
**Only use snippets or excerpts from another author's work.
Do not duplicate (or copy and paste like I did) someone's 
full post, article, information piece, etc. 
Always share the link back to their post 
and credit them on your posts.
**Assume something is copyrighted until proven otherwise

Okay, how's all this sound?

Am I close to understanding copyrights?

I promise to never make the mistake again that I made last night.


Blogger and Author Roni Loren's

wants to tell everyone what happened to her when 
she randomly copied a picture from the Internet 
and posted it on her blog.


Bloggers Beware: You CAN Get Sued For 
post signature


4 comments:

  1. Eesh, I participated in a meme once, giving the author full credit several times in my post and adding her button. Everyone commented on the meme but her, three weeks (ugh, yes, I did it three times) running. I felt something was off and contacted her, only to find she felt violated by my posts. She wanted people to link up and post a link only on their blogs to direct people to her post (not a write-up about it on my blog). Once I knew what she wanted, I was able to comply and I felt so much better. I was inadvertently breaking her copyright and hadn't a clue!!!

    Ha, that's a lot of rambling just to say I'm glad you put up this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just knew after I got her some what nasty comment that I needed to write this. We are human we make mistakes. But I felt so stupid. Well, now I know that I was just ignorant and didn't think. I will definitely know better next time. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Copyright laws are incredibly frustrating and seems like they can be bent to whatever you want them to mean. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

    I use http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/ for images when I don't have my own. All they require is a link back. I hope you find that useful if you ever need images :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I really learned more today. I will definitely mind my p's and q's when it comes to using other's materials. I think it is best to side with caution. Ask first and get full permission to use someone else's endeavors.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! You are not alone.
**Support Mental Health**


Positively Depressed RSS Feed

We are in this together

We are in this together

.

.
a to z challenge (42) challenge (38) Blog for Mental Health 2014 (18) blogging (18) depression (18) random (16) Mental Health (12) humor (11) mental illness (9) Blog (8) awareness (8) stigma (8) randomness (7) Ultimate Blog Challenge (6) affirmations (6) quote (6) self-love (6) bloggers (5) blogs (5) positive (5) self-love. Madly in Love with Me (5) Team Love (4) awards (4) blog party (4) hope (4) love (4) mental illness awareness (4) self-acceptance (4) suicide (4) anxiety (3) free (3) humorous (3) positivity (3) sensitive (3) sillyness (3) stress (3) thoughts (3) writing (3) Facebook page (2) Love Ambassador (2) accomplishment (2) affirmation (2) appreciation (2) believe in yourself (2) change (2) control (2) happiness (2) information (2) liebster award (2) life (2) me (2) peace (2) pink (2) plan (2) poetry (2) positive words (2) resources (2) strength (2) 6 words (1) Bipolar (1) Bring on 2014 (1) I Declare Tuesday (1) I am me (1) Kevin Breel (1) Linky (1) PTSD (1) acceptance (1) advice (1) arthritis (1) assertiveness (1) attitude (1) birthday (1) blog love (1) blogosphere (1) blunt (1) bold (1) buoyant (1) campaign (1) chocolate (1) chronic fatigue (1) chronic illness (1) co-hostess (1) compassion (1) cute (1) cyber bullying (1) despair (1) dolphins (1) eloquent (1) emotions (1) empowerment (1) enough (1) eunoia (1) exotic (1) fabulous (1) feeling bad (1) feelings (1) frustration (1) funny (1) glorious (1) goal (1) goals (1) grateful (1) gratitude (1) greeting (1) guest post (1) health (1) hopeful (1) hypersensitivity (1) in my hood (1) infographic (1) inspired (1) jamie (1) journal (1) judgement (1) keeping it real (1) liebster (1) living (1) loving the world (1) lucky (1) madness (1) marvelous (1) men (1) misery (1) moms (1) mother's day (1) noble (1) online dating (1) owls (1) party (1) passion (1) peace rose (1) personal (1) photos (1) pig (1) pledge (1) proud (1) queens (1) quintessential (1) rant (1) raw thoughts (1) reasons to blog (1) remembrance (1) rewards (1) rewritten blog (1) risks (1) self-help (1) self-pity (1) selfies (1) silly (1) sleep (1) social media (1) statistics (1) strong (1) struggling (1) support (1)

Affiliates

New Blog Set-Up Package Blogelina\'s Blog Set-Up Service

Free Guide on How to Build a Successful Blog

Everything You Need To Build A Successful Blog
Love All Blogs

.

.